Thursday, February 7, 2013

Vanity Bench

When my Great-Grandmother passed away I inherited her dresser, vanity and bench. I've had them for a year now and I have to say that I love them dearly but they definitely need some TLC. Since I have no experience staining or re-upholstery, I decided to start with the bench before tackling the much larger pieces. I was so excited to start that I just ripped up the old bench before taking a picture of the supper ugly yellow lizard skin-like fabric that was supper caked with dirt. Then it stayed in pieces for about a month until I found the perfect fabric during a sale at the fabric store. I used a 1 in foam piece and simply stretched the fabric over the top and stapled the fabric on the underside. Next I lightly sanded and stained the legs of the bench.

Luckily my art degree came to some use as I used to make my own canvas while I was still in school. Then once everything was painted and recovered I just used to original screws to put the bench back together. Here's a close up of one of the corners once everything was all done.
I'm super excited about this fabric and am already plotting ways to use this pattern in other elements going into my new bedroom. Sadly the other furniture will have to wait a while since I am out of funds for the moment, but I will post about the boxes I plan to cover hopefully sometime this weekend. In the future I promise to have more in progress shots. I was just so excited to get started!


No comments:

Post a Comment