Sunday, March 3, 2013

Fabric Covered Boxes


I've been sick on and off since the beginning of this year which has been making it hard to get anything done. Now that I'm finally starting to feel better I've been busy crafting all kinds of things. The first thing on my to do list was covering my old shoe boxes in fabric. I know there are tons of tutorials for this and I looked at quite a few before starting, but in the end I just went for it.

To start I measured the sides of the box and added at least 1/2" to each side. After cutting the pieces I used spray glue to attach the fabric.
Next I cut a square out of the bottom and cut a diagonal on the side that would be tucked into the box. This is to help the fabric lay flat and make a nicer corner.
I used tacky glue to glue down the sides. You can keep using the spray glue but I found that it was getting too messy for my taste so I switched to tacky.
Here's a shot of the inside corner...

And here's how the box looks with the two sides finished.

 
The next step is to cut a piece the is the width of the final side you are going to cover and the length of the entire box with 1 inch extra on both sides. Spray the bottom and sides making sure none of the glue gets on the finished sides. Having a inch extra allows you to have some wiggle room when laying the fabric down at this point. Then just glue down the excess and any part that looks like the glue missed.  

 
 Repeat the process for the lid and you are all done.

I have made a couple of these so far and I'm very pleased with the results. Since the are shoe boxes they won't last forever but they should last until I decide to completely redo my room again.
After
Before

No comments:

Post a Comment